HRCAP and our FACES Coalition Partners provide FREE tax preparation services to qualified residents. Skilled volunteers complete the required forms to ensure that every deduction and tax credit is claimed, including the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), which can increase your tax return by up to $6,318.
Eligibility and Requirements
- Families with Incomes of less than $53,930 and two or more children (EITC).
- Single Individuals with no children and incomes less than $15,010 (EITC).
- Targeted Populations: low-income, elderly, people with disabilities.
- NO Schedule C or E (business or rental income), or military.
- Must Have all tax documents, including any W- 2s and 1099s.
- Social Security Card required for self, spouse and claimed dependents.
- To have a faster refund direct-deposited into your bank account bring your bank card or credit union account number AND routing number.
What to Bring to Your VITA Site
- Proof of identification (photo ID)
- Social Security cards for you, your spouse and dependents
- An Individual Taxpayer Identification
Number (ITIN) assignment letter may be substituted for you, your spouse and your dependents if you do not have a Social Security number
- Proof of foreign status, if applying for an ITIN
- Birth dates for you, your spouse and dependents on the tax return
- Wage and earning statements (Form W -2, W-2G, 1099-R,1099-Misc) from all employers
- Interest and dividend statements from banks (Forms 1099)
- All Forms 1095, Health Insurance Statements
- Health Insurance Exemption Certificate, if received
- A copy of last year’s federal and state returns, if available
- Proof of bank account routing and account numbers for direct deposit such as a blank check
- To file taxes electronically on a married-filing-joint tax return, both spouses must be present to sign the required forms
- Total paid for daycare provider and the daycare provider's tax identifying number such as their Social Security number or business Employer Identification Number
- Forms 1095-A, B or C, Affordable Health Care Statements
- Copies of income transcripts from IRS and state, if applicable
services to qualified residents. Skilled volunteers complete the required forms to ensure that every deduction and tax credit is
Bethel AME Church
94 West Lincoln Street Hampton, VA 23669
Saturday - 9:00 am to 2:00 pm
Tuesday - 9:30 am to 1:00 pm
Open from February 10th to April 17th.
Courthouse Way Community Center
Old Courthouse Way Newport News, VA 23602
Wednesday - 5:30 pm to 7:30 pm
Saturday - 9:30 am to 12:30 pm
Open February 1st to April 15th.
100 Cemetery Road, School of Business
Buckman Hall - Room 121
Hampton, VA 23668
Tuesday - 9:00 am to 2:00 pm
Thursday - 9:00 am to 2:00 pm
Open from January 23rd to October 15th.
Call: (757) 727-5505 or walk-in
USW Region 8 Local 8888
4306 Huntington Avenue Newport News, VA 23607
Monday - 8:30 am to 4:30 pm
Wednesday - 8:30 am to 5:00 pm
Friday - 8:30 am to 4:30 pm
Open from February 7th to July 30th.
by appointment only call (757) 247-5291 ext. 129
Veteran’s Free Tax Services
1123 Driver Pointe Court Suffolk, VA 23435
Tuesday through Friday - 10:00 am to 3:00 pm
Saturday - 10:00 am to 2:00 pm
Open from January 28th to April 11th.
Call 336-708-2682 for In-person or Virtual Schedule
Christopher Newport University
1 Avenue of the Arts, Luther Hall Newport News, VA 23606
Monday - 2:00 pm to 4:00 pm
Thursday - 12:00 pm to 8:00 pm
Open from February 5th to April 13th. Walk-ins accepted.
Services will not be available on March 5th or 8th.
Family Investment Center
600 C. Ridley Circle Newport News, VA 23607
Monday - 9:00 am to 3:00 pm
Wednesday - 9:00 am to 3:00 pm
Friday - 9:00 am to 3:00 pm
Open from February 5th to April 13th.
By appointment only (757) 928-3681
Six House Inc.
2003 Kecoughtan Road Hampton, VA 23661
Tuesday - 11:00 am to 3:00 pm
Thursday - 11:00 am to 3:00 pm
Open from February 7th to April 13th.
By appointment only (757) 405-1800
United Way of the Virginia Peninsula
Call for Location Information
Monday - 9:00 am to TBA
Tuesday - Mobile
Open from February 12th to April 11th.
by appointment only (757) 873-9328 Ext. 14
Williamsburg James City County CAA
312 Waller Mill Road, Ste. 405 Williamsburg, VA 23185
Monday - 10:00 am to 5:00 pm (closed 12pm to 2pm)
Wednesday - 10:00 am to 5:00 pm (closed 12pm to 2pm)
Thursday - 10:00 am to 5:00 pm (closed 12pm to 2pm)
Open from January 23rd to April 21st.
By appointment only (757) 229-9332